Saturday, December 20, 2008

Green New Me!!

I get really pissed off at people who don’t make the effort to conserve the environment by reducing, re-using and recycling. Those people who are selfish are unfortunately those of the lower class and the uneducated.

Every time I walk into Tesco, I see those parents blowing up those transparent plastic bags, turning it into a balloon for their kids to play with. At the Tesco check out cashier, those selfish parents not only pack 2 little items into a big plastic carrier bag and not only that, they take and use more bags than an average environmentally conscious consumer.

Like the cycle of poverty where a few and minimal children of poverty stricken family that will succeed, it’s difficult to remove the poverty element in their lives. I call this the Un-Green cycle where the children will think its ok to turn plastic bags into balloons and use more plastic bags than they require.

I don’t blame them because they receive little education and they’re more concerned about themselves and their 5 kids than the environment. I just pity those kids who’ll be playing at dumpsites in the future and their parents salvaging that rubbish.

Are these people just plain selfish or ignorant? I can accept ignorance but I hate those selfish people. I’m happy to say that our familia has taken gradual steps towards a more greener lifestyle. First, we cut down on the amount of plastics used especially plastic bags and water bottles.

Secondly, we try to buy more environmentally friendly products to reduce our carbon footprints. We start by eliminating most China products and use mainly International or local substitute. This is because China products are unhealthy and very unfriendly. Besides, when the food arrives home, it has already created a carbon footprint bigger than Bigfoot’s!!

We also pay attention to the label of the product and especially the County-of-Origin (COO) of the product. We love Toasted Oats because it’s healthy and it’s environmentally friendly. We also love the organic soya beans from Aussie, and my environmentally friendly Acca Kappa toothbrush and toothpaste. I agree that it costs slightly higher than normal stuff but I don’t mind since I love the trees!!

Another thing we always do is to ask the shop to remove the shoebox and just dump it into a bag. The shoebox is useless, bulky and cost a tree. Another noteworthy local corporation is Padini Holdings because they changed all their plastic bags into environmentally friendly ones.

Another thing is that I try to refuse when shops pack my purchase into plastic bags. The last time I went shopping, I was almost yelling at the Metrojaya cashier. She wanted to bag our purchases into a plastic bag and then into a paper bag. My Madrekins and I was like, just dump it into the paper bag!! And she still looked blur after we told her for like 3 times!

When I bought a skirt from Tribal Spirit in 1U, I refused the plastic bag and dumped the skirt into my many paper bags. Little acts such as these are helpful even though we might think that it’s not significant. I’m a firm believer that if everyone does their little part, take little baby steps and start by refusing a plastic bag, we would have a greener future. I’m not having a baby because the future now seems so bleak, barren, dark and dirty!!

So, my resolution for year 2009 is to step up my efforts such as using non woven bags instead of plastic ones and do more for the environment. Maybe to turn my living space into a greener area?

~you know you hate me~
Michelle May
xoxo

No comments: