Friday, July 22, 2011

MA in IR

Part of my application for my Masters required me to write “a few lines or so” to “briefly” explain why I wanted to do my Masters and what do I plan to do after my Masters.

Took me approximately 5 months to finally sit down and take these questions seriously and start on my application. In a nutshell, I wanted to do my Masters in International Relations just because I want to work with the UN or EU.

To be pragmatic, having a Masters will ensure that you get a better job with a higher pay. But I don’t think this is the same if you plan to do a MA in IR. The whole concept of IR itself doesn’t specify a job that you can earn tones of money or make your first million before you turn 35. If it’s about the money, you’re better off doing your MBA and claw your way up the ladder.

Firstly, let me define the concept of IR. International Relations is the study of relationships between countries and understanding the world and making sense of issues and finding a solution to make the world a better place.

The study of IR covers issues like poverty, gap between the rich and the poor, humanitarianism, politics, sovereignty and security. Before this, I was just a happy girl travelling and getting everything I wanted. I was so protected that I have no idea what is going on outside in the world. My world revolved around shopping, chic lits and relaxation therapies. I knew more about Christian Louboutin than people like Aung San Suu Kyi.

It was during a Globalization class during my degree that made me realized that so many things are going on and we are all connected. Just because Malaysia is in South East Asia, it doesn’t mean we are not affected by the Bali bombings or even 9/11. The whole world is interrelated and like the ripple effect, we get affected directly or indirectly.

I don’t want to compare myself to Buddha but I would say that I felt like Siddhartha Gautama when he first wandered out of his palace and saw suffering which he then decided on meditation to find a way to alleviate the people’s suffering. When he finally achieved nirvana, he was known as Buddha “Enlightened One”.

I guess I just want to make the world a better place. Once the world is a better place, people will be less mean and like a karmic circle, the world becomes a better place. Now, wouldn’t that be great?

Anyways, I have to get back to my application. Just wanted to get all these ideas out of my head or at least put them in words so I can string them into proper sentences. Come next September, I hope to graduate, I hope. Wish me luck!

Sometimes I wonder if I have what it takes? Can an empathetic heart be successful in her endeavors’? I recently thought of giving up. I’ve never given up before, until this year. This is coming from a girl who had 3 jobs in 3 months. Been attending a few funerals (3 to be exact!) in 1 month. The recent funeral was Natalie Chin’s (my cousin) grandma. Somehow I fell in love with 2 Timothy 4:7; I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Instead of associating it with death, I just read this line over and over so I won’t give up. Just keep holding on, have some faith and things will get better. Instead of trying to change the environment, I should start by changing myself. I don’t think I’m extremely brilliant, but I do know that I have a good heart and I feel too much and I’m too just.

I tend to confuse pride with principles and for me; self fulfillment in Marlow’s Hierarchy of Needs plays an important factor. Anyways, my train is getting ready to leave this station. Trains can’t stop in a station for too long.

~you know im geeky like that~
Michelle May
xoox

No comments: