Friday, July 08, 2011

Mention “Bersih” and all Malaysians will know about the rally. Those who have no clue whatsoever about Bersih, Bersih is generally a coalition of Malaysian opposition political parties. For far too long, we Malaysians has been cheated, lied to and oppressed by these corrupted politicians.

There are too many stupid people, saying stupid things either because they are really stupid or they just want the attention. The living condition here in Malaysia has gone from bad to worst and as a Malaysian, I’m neither proud nor “grateful” to this country.

Firstly, I find this whole issue extremely entertaining and will probably write this as my thesis for my Masters because Bersih generally wants a cleaner, fairer and more transparent electoral process. At the end of the day, isn’t Malaysia a democratic country? Didn’t our forefathers died fighting for justice? Lastly, the very core foundation of an election has to be freedom of choice, isn’t it?

Election means allowing individuals an opportunity to make a decision based on the given choices. It has to be fair and not manipulated. In the Stone Age era, the representatives would probably have to battle it out, but since we’re able to think, we created such a thing called Election.

Our politicians are all highly educated, with a string of degrees from US, Australia and UK, yet, with no principles, they succumb to the lure of corruption. As more and more Malaysians are being educated internationally, they began to see your corruption and what it has cost the nation.

Those who are against Bersih mean that they are against a fair, clean and just election, why? To protect your own interest? An election is a formal procedure, meaning that, there has to be some degree of transparency. Apparently, the dead can even vote!

I’m not a Bersih supporter, don’t get me wrong. In fact, I think politics in Malaysia a big, huge BS. I don’t support any political party, neither I am passionately Republican nor am I a Democratic. I’m a firm believer of a two party system practiced in Britain/ some European countries.

Yes, I am pissed off that I won’t be able to go to Pavillion for some shopping, but I’m not going to be selfish while there are still people out there, who believe that Malaysia is worth saving and are actually fighting against the people just to ensure that the election in 2012 will be carried out “correctly”.

Personally, I don’t think Malaysia is worth saving at all. This Bersih issue transcends race or religion. It’s a matter of principles and after being oppressed for far too long, people will rebel. These are the few people that put aside their differences of race and religion to fight for a better Malaysia. Like I mentioned before, the youngsters nowadays, have no interest in dividing the country.

As much as we would like to say I hate those Malays/Indians/Chinese, we all have Indian, Chinese and Malay friends. I got robbed by Indians and as much as I would like to say that I despise them, I can’t. I love my sister and her family too much. I have tones of Malay and Indian friends that are even better than my Chinese ones.

One or two bad apples don’t mean the whole basket is rotten. Stop all these racism because education should have eradicated this kind of racist mentality. Racism makes me sick. Racism shouldn’t even exist in this globalized age. What makes Malaysia unique is our ability to live together in harmony and our melting pot of cultures.

All of us, grew up in Malaysia. Malaysia is the only idea of home we’ll ever have. No matter where we’ve been, we’ll always remember that ABC/Rojak under some tree or a short cut to the mall. That’s what makes Malaysia our home. All of us are different and all we want is to be able to live in peace. Is it so hard?

Yes, I feel as if I’m placed under house arrest like Aung San Suu Kyi but neither will I be donning my yellow Tee and going for a rally. To those who are pissed off just like me, you just have to bear with it, you should be ashamed for not willing to fight for a fairer election, because I am. I’m just going to be staying at home and probably catch up on my text books.

I hope that Prof. Neville is happy with some of my musings. For those of you, who actually took the trouble to read this, if you like it, thank you. If you don’t agree with what I wrote, I’m happy too. That means your brains are actually working and is able to agree and disagree. Will probably come under fire as well but who cares.

I’m sick of how this country is being run. I want to leave but you’ve invested most of your life here, that you want a glimmer of hope that things will get better. I used to tell people that I will leave faster than you can say “Abandon Ship!” yet; I still hope that things would change.

Anyways, have fun tomorrow. Whatever you may do, I think it’s “darurat” in KL. Try to be positive. :)

~you know I'm right~
Michelle May
xoox

No comments: