Monday, June 23, 2014

My Job: Being A Teacher

Today, I'm gonna take a break from all the wedding preparations and just talk about my job. 

Picture credit to The Blue Street Journal

Dear People That Think I Have The Easiest Job, 

My job is not easy. I answer your child's questions such as "Why We Get Angry?" "What Is Love?" "Why Do We Use Money?" and at the same time, give your children confidence so that they can be effective speakers, encourage your child to think critically, let your child explore, make mistakes and correct their mistakes. 

Most importantly, when you're busy working and watching football or sleeping, I'm the one your child turn to to talk about his personal life. Yes, many said that its unprofessional to blur the lines of boundaries between a lecturer and student but I say, FUCK IT! 

Your child tells me about how they were abused, how, you, their parents are too busy, and they love talking about the girl they like, asking me, for my advice and I, in turn, share my stories with them. 

You see, I teach Foundation in a University College in Malaysia and teaching wasn't my choice AT ALL. It was a temporary gig (ala Jack Black in School Of Rock) that turned into 1 year andmany more years to come. 

I didn't teach because the pay is good or because of the flexible working hours. I stayed in this job for more than 1 year because I felt that I was making a difference to my students, just by spending time with them and being there for them. Trust me, because the pay is shitty (Evidently my students drive better cars than I do!) and officially, I work 5 hours a day but I spend every other passing minute availing myself to them, to talk or to seek help. 

My friends and colleagues tell me that, Why do I bother to invest so much in them because after 1 year in Foundation, they will most likely to forget me? I live with this quote:

People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. 

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. 

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...” 

― Elizabeth GilbertEat, Pray, Love

I'm not their soul mate, but I'm that someone that changes their lives, that tears down their walls, just so, they can change their lives or make better decisions. 

I realized something that parents never do, or never can do. No matter what age your child is, they always have something to share. They are not asking for attention or for solutions, they just want someone to listen. 

If that moment in time, I can be there for your child, I would. It's been slightly more than a year I'm a teacher, looking back, I would still do this in a heartbeat. 

I still don't know if what I'm doing is good/bad or right/wrong, Honestly, I don't care. All I know is that, I'm doing the RIGHT thing, for them...


No comments: